Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Crazy Dance Moves!

Hola from Santa Cruz!

It´s been wierd weather here in Santa Cruz these past few days. Yesterday it poured rain all day, the kids at work went completly crazy!! Today it´s just muggy and hot. Well it´s another week at work... tomorrow we have the morning off because we have some SALT banking things to do. This past weekend was good. My host dad just had Hernia surgery, so he has been at home recovering. So my host mom and dad have been travelling to the hospital numerous times for check-ups etc. He is doing much better, which is so great. Saturday morning I headed off to meet my co-workers from work. We ate Saltañas and drank Coke at 9 in the morning. Sick! I don´t think I´ve drinken coke that early in the morning! We then headed off to the pool for the morning. It was quite fun. Saturday night me and Cesia headed over to church, I was assuming we would have a normal church service but we got there and everyone was painting the church. So, in my church clothes, I helped paint our church. We then scrubbed the floors until we could basically eat off them. After we were finished we got home and it was raining. My host dad is the only person in the household who can drive and we needed chicken after church. So Cesia asked her dad if I could drive the car to pick up the chicken. Now I was thinking that he would say no, but he graciously passed over the keys to his little beater of a car. I think I said this before, but honestly this car goes about 15 km an hour. No joke! So the first trick was trying to turn the car on. It´s standard so I thought I knew how these cars work, but because this car is so old it needed time to heat up. So we waited in the car and after stalling a few times I finally got out of the drive way. There is only one windshield wiper, so I turned that on full blast but it didn´t help at all. So... I just continued driving (very slow).. cars honking. Cesia is telling me where to go, and thankfully this chicken place was only about 5 minutes away, so we got there. When we drove back I had to turn left so I started turning the wheel but honestly I had to put all my muscle power (with is a lot.. haha) into turning this steering wheel. It was ridiculous! It was the hardest thing to turn! Finally we got over the bridge and made it home OK! I got home and my dad prayed a long prayer thanking me for getting home safely! He then asked me after if I had a drivers licence here in Bolivia... I don´t.... I think he forgot to ask that before we left to get chicken. I think that will be the last time I will be driving that car, but I can now say I have driven in Bolivia!

So Sunday was a pretty relaxing day. Sunday nights church service was hilarious! We had a regular church service, but then suddenly this band of trumpets, drums and saxaphones came into the church and started playing songs for us. They played about 3 songs and then right when they were about to leave one old man from my church yelled for them to play another song. I think he requested his favourite song because once they started playing he starting running around the church and started doing some crazy dance moves... I was really impressed... and he honestly didn´t stop until the song ended (the song lasted about 10 minutes). Everyone was taking pictures of him. He loved it!

This Sunday my dad has asked me to sing a song in church. So.. if you have any suggestions let me know!

Anyways, this week is another week of work. I have to get going! Hope all is well!
much love

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You could sing 'Wade in the Water' ! This is what we sang in Bangladesh all the time and they loved it. The chorus is pretty easy to learn, so they could sing along! It's in the blue hymnal...

    ReplyDelete