Wednesday, August 5, 2009

3 days left...

Well, I finally got this blog set up! I can't believe that this time has come so soon! I am both filled with excitement and fear of what lies ahead. I just finished reading about the history and culture of Bolivia, and it makes me very excited to be there in a couple weeks. This Saturday, August 8th, I'll flying to Akron, PA for the SALT orientation. I will be there, along with the rest of the SALTers and IVEPers until August 14th when we all go our separate ways around the world. I will then fly to Miami, for a little layover, and then to Santa Cruz Bolivia. From my understanding, me and the five other SALTers (who are placed in Bolivia), are then going on a 10 hour bus ride to Cochabamba, located inbetween La Paz and Santa Cruz. There we will stay for 2 1/2 weeks, dedicated to Spanish language study. Each of us will have one on one language study for about four hours each day and will be touring around for the remaining parts of the day. We were told that Cochabamba is significantly higher in the Andes mountains than Santa Cruz so we are supposed to dress is layers. After our time in Cochabamba we are heading back to Santa Cruz to be introduced to our host families and our job placements.

My job position is titled, "After School Program Worker" where I will be working at "Guarderia Moises Daycare Centre" with children. This centre provides childcare for working parents during daytime hours and then runs an after-school program from "alumni" of the daycare, assisting children with homework and serving as a general support to the families of the children through home visits.

As I continue to prepare for my departure on Saturday, I ask for your ongoing thoughts and prayers during this time! I can also be reached at this address... if you want to write me (which would be so fantastic):

Comite Central Menonita
Atiende: Adrienne Schellenberg
Casilla 213
Santa Cruz
BOLIVIA

Keep reading this blog, as I will post my thoughts and stories as they come! Wish me luck on this adventure!

4 comments:

  1. Adrienne! So many blessings to you as you embark on this adventure!! And don't forget to check your mail (the postal kind)..

    ReplyDelete
  2. AGE! Hope all is well so far!! Keep us posted, and I hope your adventure is off to a great start! Thinking of you lots, xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Age I'm so excited for you!! Good luck with everything and safe travels tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. you are probably in the air right now! many many blessings to you!
    you are loved.

    ReplyDelete