Saturday, April 24, 2010

catching the bride's bouquet!

It's about time for an update! I have been putting this off for too long and realize that I should have updated a lot sooner. Lots has happened since the last time I wrote, I feel like I forget half the things that I did.


Work is going really well. This past week has flown by, and I find myself realizing that I only have 3 more months left here. Also, in 28 days my parents come to visit! Very exciting! These past few weeks I have been writing up the kids home visits that we have done so far. I finished writing up 45 home visits on Wednesday, and we have about 16 more home visits to complete. It gets pretty busy when we have 2 home visits in the morning and another 3 in the afternoon. But I really enjoy the work!



This past weekend me and my family went to a huge wedding! This would have been the 4th wedding I´ve been to this year, and it was the fansiest one yet. It was a bunch on fun! The bride went on IVEP last year to the States, and met a guy there. So the wedding was both in English and Spanish. I was such a nice break to see gringos around!! And to speak English! The time came when the bride (Graciela) threw her bouquet to a bunch of us girls standing behind her. And guess who caught the bouquet. Yes indeed, I had grabbed the bouquet by the ribbon that was on there while another girl held on. But then she just passed it off to me. hahaha! It was hilarious! Then the groom did the same with his flower and a guy named Fernando caught it and then we have to dance in front of everyone to Shania Twain- Who´s bed have your boots been under. It was totally embarressing, but a good time!


So this past week is has been freezing here. And by freezing I mean about 18 to 24 degrees outside. I am currently wearing pants and a sweater. There will definetly be some climate shock when I come back home. So last friday, it was pouring rain outside. So my dad decided to drive me to the place where I catch the micro to go to my work. As we were driving there we saw my micro pass by quickly, so we sped up (by sped up I mean like 15 km/hr) and started chasing this micro. Then my host dad started honking the horn. But our horn is not the regular sound most cars make. It sounded like a dying cow in some serious pain. So we honestly chased this bus for about 2 blocks while holding down the horn. Then as it was turning I got out and rain around the bus, but as I came to the other side of the bus I bashed my head on the rear view mirror that was sticking out really far. So that mirror went all out of place and they had to readjust that after, and then when I got on the bus everyone was snickering and obviously found that really amusing. I then got a seat next to the driver and he joking said ¨How´s your head?¨ Turns out when I got to work no kids show up. I have learnt that when it rains here it´s like having a snow day back in Canada. When it rains everyone doesn't want to go outside in the rain.


So I guess a countdown to when my parents come is in progress. I officially have approximetly 25 days until they arrive. Maybe it´s too early to start a countdown, but I am just so exicted to see family again! Also, having less than 3 months left here is pretty crazy! Our tickets are all bought... I am leaving Bolivia on July 21st and then will be in Akron, PA for 3 days. July 27th I will offically be home in Winnipeg, Manitoba!! Quite exciting, but will be very hard to leave my host family and work. I´ve made some pretty amazing connections here that will be very tough to leave. I already told my family that I am returning... and they said that I must return with a husband. haha! One day.. one day.


That's all for now! Hope you are all well. I appreciate your emails, thoughts and prayers!


te cuidades

No comments:

Post a Comment