Sunday, June 13, 2010

June!!

I am writing this as I am watching the World Cup, Germany vs. Australia. I have been hooked ever since the first game on friday! We had a tv set up in the biblioteca and all the kids and I watched the opening game. Pretty exciting!

There is really no excuse to me not updating my blog in months! Things have been going by very fast! A lot has happened since I have written last. For example, my parents came to visit me! They flew in on a Saturday morning (May 22) and left the next Sunday(May 30). It was so wonderful to see them! Me and my host parents came and picked them up from the airport. We were able to spend some time in Santa Cruz.. I showed them around different places that I have come to know well. We then flew to Sucre (which would normally be a 14 hour bus ride... or more) which only took about 35 minutes. We arrived on a beautiful day! Sucre is probably my favourite place that I have traveled to yet this year. We stayed in a hotel (recommended by our taxi driver) from Tuesday until Thursday. It was beautiful weather each day so we got a chance to really tour around the see the city. It's beautiful! There are so many old churches and museums that we got to see. Along with that, we arrived on the 201 Anniversary of Sucre, so there was a huge parade and activities going on all day! Pretty neat! We headed back home in thursday afternoon (which here was Mother's Day), so my host family and us went out for dinner together. My host sister had just had a baby about a week before hand so we were able to meet Kayla for the first time. Friday night we headed to a futbol game. Usually the two teams here (Blooming and Oriente) play against each other, but the day we went they had a game off. So instead we watched a game between Blooming and Universidad. It was really fun! A good cross-cultural experience for my parents!

I never realized how stressful it was to tour around my parents for the week. I have never really had to plan a week away in some foreign country. So this was a good experience for me. I definetly had to translate a lot... which was good practice for me. And we made it through! I am very thankful to now have them see where I have been living, my work situation and Santa Cruz. They now have a reference to when I talk about things! I am so thankful they could come!

So the weeks are just flying by! I have approximetly 4 weeks left of work. My last day is on July 14th. Gosh time is going by so quickly! I have been doing really well... things at my host family are awesome, my work is going really great and I am just feeling really good. There are SO many stories that have happened, and I know it is going to be hard to explain them over an update. But the time will come when I come home (June 27th- to Winnipeg) and can share more easily. My 22nd Birthday is coming up on June 30th! I am excited to experience a bolivian celebration on that day!

I hope that I will keep on top of things and update more regularly before I leave. I will try my best! I hope this update finds you all well!

Much love,
Adrienne

No comments:

Post a Comment